True creativity needs the void – the still space within that allows for something new and innovative to come forward.
Now just in case the word ‘void’ is scaring you off, back yourself down from visualizing your life as heading into a black hole. The void I am speaking of is just that space inside that you notice when all the distractions of the outside world aren’t commanding your attention.
The void may make you anxious – you have to be patient and comfortable with silence and the unknown to really welcome the void. But, trust me; the void is one of your nearest and dearest friends. In the void the voice you finally hear is your own.
So here are the steps for claiming your innate creative power instead of nagging yourself with your to-do list:
1. Grab a notebook and jot down some ideas – just jot – nothing else.
2. Write down your dreams – the dreaming mind is highly creative!
3. Play – really play with a child or friends or even with your own finger-paints – get out of adult mode and back into fun.
4. Daydream when awake about the life you want to have and really see yourself living it.
5. Listen to music that you love and feel into the vibrations.
6. Take a small risk – get out of your comfort zone.
7. Try different things – painting, singing, writing, dancing – any creative activity that might inspire you.
8. Let go of perfection and see where the day takes you.
You are an immensely powerful creative force in the world and your writing reflects that. But even the most prolific writer needs time to restart the creative center.
The best way to do that is to connect in a new way with your inner creative power. Play with the colors of your heart and soul and create some magic.
And then get back to your writing!